Blue Tofu is the self-titled debut album by Blue Tofu a musical group founded in 2000 by the American composer, pianist and keyboard player Tim Story and the singer Andrea Mathews. In 2000, Tim, an internationally respected avant garde, ambient and chamber music composer, met Andrea, a high school student at the time, giving her an instrumental track to work on. The result was impressive and soon after the duo started working on material for the debut album released in 2001.
The album was released under the label Dubious Recording and developed an unlikely cult following among audiophiles. In fact, aside from the excellent artistic value, Blue Tofu was voted as one of the best recorded albums of the last 40 years by Absolute Sound Magazine. As such it is still widely used by audiophiles to test hi-fi systems! But this is just the icing on the cake as the album is artistically on par with the recording quality. With a sound that blends ambient soundscapes with jazzy, trip hop and chamber music tones, Blue Tofu is an extremely emotional, deep and evocative album, just like the voice of Andrea Mathews. Highlights are “A Battle Between” (track #1), “Wild Blue” (track #4) and “Gabriel” (track #7). In short, an album that can truly be regarded as a hidden gem. Great tunes to paddle by!
|1. A Battle Between|
| 2. Limestone
| 3. Chemical Cupcake
| 4. Wild Blue
| 5. Tricycle
| 6. Straw Men
| 7. Gabriel
| 8. The Woman Singing
| 9. Blue Ball Box
Genre: Jazz, Trip Hop, Ambient, Chamber Music
Order the CD on Amazon @
Visit the Arttists' web site @
Gli iscritti al Forum sono invitati a rispettare scrupolosamente le seguenti regole:
- Scopo del Forum: Il forum è stato creato dallo staff di www.standuppaddling.it allo scopo di mettere a disposizione degli iscritti uno spazio Web per poter condividere costruttivamente tutte le tematiche inerenti lo sport dello Stand Up Paddling;
- Utenti Iscritti: Si invitano i nuovi utenti a presentarsi al Forum nell'apposita sezione. Leggere senza scrivere è una forma di ineducazione e di mancanza di rispetto!
- Responsabilità: Con l'iscrizione si riconosce di essere il solo responsabile del contenuto dei propri messaggi e si accetta di sollevare questo Forum e i suoi Gestori da ogni tipo di reclamo o problema che possa nascere in seguito a un qualunque messaggio postato dall'iscritto sul Forum stesso;
- Dati personali e dati sensibili: Non sono consentiti nel forum interventi in cui si rivelino "dati personali" e "dati sensibili" (nomi e cognomi, opinioni personali, appartenenza religiosa, lettere private, ecc.) di altre persone, a meno che non vi sia stato il consenso dell'interessato. I Gestori del forum si riservano il diritto di modificare, o anche di cancellare, i messaggi in cui si violi in qualche modo tale norma. Qualora tale comportamento sia recidivo, il contributore sarà bannato;
- Comportamento nei confronti degli altri utenti e dei Moderatori: a) non sono ammessi messaggi dai toni insolenti e provocatori, attacchi personali, insulti e/o liti fra gli utenti; b) non sono consentiti atteggiamenti e/o posizioni di contestazione palesemente ostili o polemiche nei confronti dell'Amministratore e dei Moderatori del forum; c) non si devono trattare argomenti non idonei allo spirito del forum, contrari al buon gusto ed al pudore e comunque in grado di offendere la sensibilità degli altri utenti;
- Ruolo dei Moderatori: I Moderatori hanno la piena facoltà di modificare e bloccare quegli interventi che saranno ritenuti non consoni al Regolamento o che potranno risultare in contrasto con lo spirito del medesimo. Verrà chiusa ogni discussione dove argomenti e toni non risultino idonei alla linea di condotta del forum. Se nel corso di una discussione, il topic dovesse degenerare è data ampia facoltà di intervento al Moderatore che a sua INSINDACABILE DECISIONE potrà, nei casi più gravi, arrivare alla chiusura immediata del thread incriminato. I moderatori possono modificare, senza dover dare nessuna spiegazione pubblica, i post che vengono ritenuti non consoni al regolamento o che possono essere fraintesi e creare tensioni tra gli utenti;
- Contestazioni: L'operato dei Moderatori è insindacabile e può essere giudicato solo dall'Amministratore del forum. Per richiedere spiegazioni ed eventualmente contestare in modo educato e civile le decisioni prese dallo staff del Forum, non deve essere utilizzato lo spazio pubblico, ma si devono utilizzare i messaggi privati, le e-mail e ogni altra forma di comunicazione privata. Verranno immediatamente chiusi e cancellati i thread aventi come oggetto argomenti di contestazione in chiave polemica. Chi non si atterrà a questa regola rischia l'allontanamento immediato dal forum. Per tale motivo si chiede di esporre le proprie contestazioni in forma privata. In primo luogo per ordine pubblico: aprire topic dichiaratamente polemici di certo non aiuta a mantenere costruttivo il clima del forum. D'altro canto, nella comunicazione privata tra utente e moderatore-amministratore diviene più semplice poter chiarire le posizioni divergenti e, se possibile, cercare punti d'incontro costruttivi. Da parte dei Moderatori del forum vi è sempre piena disponibilità al dialogo, in forma privata (via mail o messaggi privati) per cercare di appianare possibili rimostranze. Cercare il dialogo è in ogni caso la strada preferibile per appianare discordie e cercare di capire meglio gli interventi dei Moderatori e/o dell'Amministratore;
- Esclusione degli utenti: Chi non si atterrà al regolamento del Forum, chi mancherà di rispetto nei confronti dello staff di www.standuppaddling.it, chi non seguirà le generali regole non scritte per una educata convivenza civile, chi si renderà responsabile di provocazioni gratuite, di ingiurie e in generale chiunque creerà climi di tensione e scontro all'interno del Forum, verrà allontanato dai Moderatori che potranno, a loro discrezione e secondo la gravità del fatto commesso, decidere per la sospensione del nick a tempo determinato o la cancellazione dell'iscrizione degli utenti ritenuti responsabili (Ban). Un utente bannato (escluso) dal forum non può iscriversi di nuovo con altro nickname. Qualora si venisse a scoprisse che un utente allontanato si è re-iscritto con un altro nick, verrà immediatamente bannato e si procederà al blocco dell'IP. Vi è la piena discrezione, da parte dei Moderatori, di espellere comunque dal forum quegli utenti che, con il loro comportamento (atteggiamento polemico, litigioso e non costruttivo) risultino in qualche modo destabilizzanti per il forum, pur non infrangendo di fatto nessuna regola. Per i Troll vige la "tolleranza zero", con Ban immediato e conseguente blocco dell'indirizzo IP;
- Netiquette: Nel postare seguire i seguenti criteri etici:
- Evitare di portare fuori tema le discussioni iniziate. Chi apre un thread si aspetta un aiuto ed un confronto utile da parte di chi vi partecipa. Divagare o dare risposte inconsistenti è una forma di mancanza di rispetto nei confronti dello stesso autore del thread;
- Non pubblicare mai, senza l'esplicito permesso dell'autore, il contenuto di messaggi di posta elettronica;
- Scrivere in maiuscole intere parole che non sono titoli viene definito URLARE. Si può fare a casa propria, non qui!
- Non condurre "guerre di opinione" sulla rete: se ci sono diatribe personali, è meglio risolverle via posta elettronica in corrispondenza privata tra gli interessati;
- I titoli dei post devono essere riassuntivi dell'argomento trattato;
- E' vietato espressamente qualsiasi annuncio pubblicitario diretto o indiretto a favore di rivenditori, importatori ecc.;
- Varie ed eventuali: Per ogni questione che richieda una decisione e che non sia stata presa in considerazione dal regolamento si fa riferimento alle decisioni dei Moderatori che operano in una sezione apposita del forum, nella quale mettono a votazione democratica ogni decisione in merito e ne traggono poi un modus operandi univoco;
- Accettazione del Regolamento: Iscrivendosi al Forum si accetta integralmente tale regolamento e ci si impegna a rispettarlo e a subire tutte le conseguenze derivanti da possibili violazioni ad esso.
Buona permanenza e ricordate che lo spirito che deve animare questa community non può che essere costruttivo e rispettoso. Enjoy the ride!
The Sunset Beach Pro will set a new standard in 2014The Sunset Beach Pro will set a new standard for the Tour and the sport as a whole in 2014 as it celebrates its 5th year anniversary as the prestigious World Championship Tour Opener. With a packed field of the very best international athletes coming up against a wealth of local talent throughout all the islands, the first showdown of the year will once again set the standard for high performance Stand Up Paddlesurfing at its very best.
While Tour stand outs such as 3x World Champion and 2x event winner Kai Lenny (Naish), Caio Vaz (Art in Surf), 2012 World Champion Leco Salazar and Sean Poynter (Starboard) will be on a mission to start the year out on a high, local favorites such as Robin Johnston (Mistral) who finished 2nd last year at Sunset and has been Top 5 since the Tours inception, Ikaika Kalama (Rogue), Kala Alexander and Aaron Napoleon (Rogue) will be looking to stand strong at home on Oahu's fabled North Shore.
Also to watch out for was last year's breakout athlete at Sunset, Kekoa Auwae, who stunned the world with an incredible display of performance surfing, but also the young Mo Freitas (Focus / Body Glove), who continues to assert his presence on Tour with stand out performances.
However, as is always the case at this prestigious World Tour Opener, Sunset Beach ends up being the star of the show, so make sure not to miss this dramatic event unfold from the 8th - 16th February out here on Oahu's Fabled North Shore.
For all entry information for both Trials and Main event and to watch the first of a series of trailers for the Sunset Beach Pro and the full HD live broadcast of the event by going to: www.watermanleague.com
Here's the first event's trailer
The Turtle Bay Pro to kick off a stellar year for the girls Turtle Bay Resort will once again play host to the Turtle Bay Women's Pro, the opening event of the Women's World Tour that sees stops in Hawaii, Brazil, California and France.
In 2013 we saw an incredible Title Race that came down to the final heats of the final event of the year in France, as winner of the 2013 Turtle Bay Pro Nicole Pacelli came out on top to take the sport's first ever Women's World Title, closely followed by the young talent from Oahu, Vanina Walsh (Starboard) and the breakout athlete of the year, Izzy Gomez (Starboard) from Florida, who stole the show in the last 2 events of 2013 with impressive victories.
One of the favorites for the Title, Candice Appleby finished in 4th in 2013, but is looking stronger and more determined than ever coming in to 2014, as she goes into the hunt for the World Title. However, she will have her work cut out, as all of the above girls will be vying for the very same thing, as will other immense talents such as Aline Adisaka from Brazil, Caroline Angibaud from France and Iballa Moreno (Starboard) from the Canary Islands but also a wealth of local talent such as Mariko Strickland (Naish) from Kauai, Halie Harrison (Focus SUP) from here on Oahu and many more.
So make sure not to miss the Turtle Bay Women's Pro unfold from the 8th - 16th February and book your ringside seats for a stay in paradise at www.turtlebayresort.com. For all event information, entries and live broadcast, go to: http://watermanleague.com/events/2014-sunset-beach-pro
Na Kama Kai Youth Challenge to be stepped up in 2014The Na Kama Kai Youth Challenge will be take on a new life in 2014 with an Official stop for the U16s at every stop on Tour this year. In Hawaii, Turtle Bay will once again host this spectacular showdown, as U16s from all over the globe will congregate at Turtle Bay for this unique showcase of the Stars of the future. Make sure to watch it all go down live at www.watermanleague.com as we start the year in epic fashion out here on Oahu's Fabled North Shore, the headquarters for the Waterman League. Na Kama Kai Youth Clinic to give back to the North ShoreOur partnership with the Non profit Na Kama Kai now dates back to 2009, as Founder Duane DeSoto has developed the organzation's youth initiatives in the islands and we have taken the message around the world. In 2014, this initiative has been scaled up, as Na Kama Kai Clinics will be held in conjunction with all events across both the Stand up World Tour & Series.
The Sunset Beach Pro will feature a special Na Kama Kai clinic on the first Saturday of the holding period (Saturday 8th February), as youth from the East and North Shores of Oahu will be given a unique opportunity to Stand Up Paddle, Canoe Paddle, shape traditional Alaia boards and learn about traditional Hawaiian story telling in the company of the world's best stand up paddlers on the east side of Turtle Bay in front of Ola's Restaurant.
To learn more about Na Kama Kai and Founder Duane DeSoto's vision, please go to www.nakamakai.org
Tribute to the Legends to celebrate ocean sports heritage2014 will see the introduction of a new Exhibition event featuring Ocean Sports greats: the Tribute to the Legends will bring together leading figures from the Ocean Sports Community and pioneers in the sport of Stand Up Paddling for water based exhibition events, Talk Story and live music sessions at Turtle Bay.
The Sunset Beach Pro will see Brian Keaulana, Mel Pu'u, Titus Kinimaka and Archie Kalepa come together for a unique occasion hosted by Turtle Bay Resort, starting on the 7th February with the Talk Story and leading to exhibitions at both Sunset and Turtle Bay over the first weekend of the holding period.
Waterman League partners with Sustainable CoastlinesThe Waterman League is proud to announce an all new partnership with Sustainable Coastlines Hawaii, inspiring local communities statewide to take care of their coastlines through hands on beach clean ups.
Our goal with this partnership is to not only leave the beach more pristine once the event is done than when it began, allowing our athletes, fans and the general public alike the opportunity to make a difference for the magnificent Beach Park we are able to enjoy, but also inspire other communities all over the world to do the same through the messaging relayed via our global media.
The beach clean up will take place on the last day of the holding period from 3pm at Sunset Beach and stay tuned to www.watermanleague.com for more information and to be a part of this worthy initiative.
Full social schedule at Hang Ten & Surfer the BarBeyond the action on the water, there is a full schedule of social activities built out around this year's Sunset Beach Pro, from an intense Opening Ceremony at Turtle Bay on Friday 7th at 5pm, to live music from Ocean Sports Legends and a 'Talk Story' special at Surfer the Bar, all taking place on Friday 7th February.
We then have another Talk Story Special with the young guns from Maui on Wednesday 12th February at Surfer the Bar, featuring Kai Lenny (Naish), Zane Schweitzer (Starboard), Kody Kerbox (Naish) and Connor Baxter (Starboard). This will be followed by a a special screening of the lookback show from the 2013 Stand Up World Tour.
The week then ends with a World Tour Party at Surfer the Bar featuring DJ Baumer and with impromptu live music sets expected from some of Ocean Sports Music greats.
So it is all happening next month out here on the North Shore of Oahu, so make sure not to miss it, either in person at the event hub for the event at Turtle Bay, or online at www.watermanleague.com.
For detailed schedule, entries and event information, please go to: http://watermanleague.com/events/2014-sunset-beach-pro
2014 promises to be the most exciting year yet for the Waterman League, the Stand Up World Tour (SUWT), and Stand Up World Series (SUWS). With new stops around the world, the return of Tahiti, and perennial favorites such as Sunset Beach and Huntington Beach, there is much to look forward to over this exciting season.
It all starts next week with the Sunset Beach Pro and Turtle Bay Women's Pro! The 9-day holding period will ensure that the contests will run in the best possible conditions. You can find all contest information including schedule, live webcast, and more on watermanleague.com.
With last year's conditions seeing some of the biggest waves in tour history, the standards are high for this year's contest. But with the ever-growing popularity of SUP surfing, the talent pool at the 2014 Sunset Beach Pro will be the most competitive field yet.
Kai Lenny, winner of last year's Sunset Beach Pro and World Champion of both the SUWT and SUWS, is in top form and is always a contender. Every time Kai has won the Sunset Beach Pro, he has gone on to win the world title that year. Will this year set the stage once again?
One of many threats to unseating Lenny is Grant "Twiggy" Baker, who just won the Maverick's Invitational on the Big Wave Tour. If a big swell comes through, you can bet that Twiggy will be going after the biggest sets and charging hard.
- Turtle Bay Women's Pro
After a wildly successful inaugural year, the Women's Stand Up World Tour returns with the world's top female SUP surfers competing for the world title.
The women's field has doubled this year, adding proof to the exponential rise in the sport's popularity. With more sponsorship and fan attention than ever, the women are set to impress and inspire a worldwide audience.
Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore is the site of the first contest of the year, and promises to be an exciting two day event. The action takes place right next to the Hang Ten bar, also known as the "Pool Bar" at Turtle Bay. There will be women flying in from as far as Brazil and France, and as close as Kauai to compete for the top spot at Turtle Bay.
- OluKai Tribute to the Legends
This year will feature an exhibition between legendary Hawaiian watermen Brian Keaulana, Arche Kalepa, Mel Pu'u, and Titus Kinimaka in the OluKai "Tribute to the Legends".
In addition to water sports, the legends will be featured in a special group Talk Story at Surfer, The Bar on Friday, Feb. 7 following the opening ceremony to the Sunset Beach Pro. On Saturday the legends will be on hand to teach the next generation of watermen at the Na Kama Kai youth clinic - see below for more information on that exciting event.
- Na Kama Kai Youth Clinic and Challenge
Also at Turtle Bay this year is the Na Kama Kai youth clinic taking place on Saturday, Feb. 8 from 9-12.
The clinic will allow local youth to learn valuable skills from accomplished watermen. There will be clinics in stand up paddling, canoeing, traditional Hawaiian Alaia board shaping, and ancient Hawaiian storytelling. Na Kama Kai will also co-host a youth (under 16) competition at Turtle Bay to coincide with the Women's event. This is a free event and all youth are encouraged to participate.
Again, for more info & updates visit http://watermanleague.com/events/2014-sunset-beach-pro
Sunshine, good waves, and a deep field of the world's finest female SUP surfers were on hand today as we entered the final day of the 2014 Turtle Bay Women's Pro at Turtle Bay Resort on the north shore of Oahu in Hawaii. Light trade winds and an increasing swell created ideal conditions for the first event on the 2014 Stand Up World Tour. 18 women competed through four rounds of intensely competitive action, as the level of performance in the women's fleet has gone through the roof here in 2014. In the end it was Brazilian Nicole Pacelli who won the final heat a full 5 points ahead of runner-up Candice Appleby to win back-to-back titles at Turtle Bay.
"I'm so happy!", said Pacelli after getting out of the water and realizing she had won the final. "The waves are good, but I don't know - sometimes a big set came and everyone was washed out. So I'm happy to get two good waves! It was perfect. I caught my best wave of the contest. All the girls are ripping!"
With the important first win of the season underway, Pacelli has her sights set on the next stop of the Women's Stand Up World Tour in her home country of Brazil.
On competing in front of a home crowd she says, "I think sometimes in my home country I have more pressure because I'm Brazilian and everybody is cheering for me when I'm in the water. But it's nice. I like to surf there. I think it's going to be one of the best stops".
The next stop on the 2014 Women's Stand Up World Tour is the Brazil Pro Grand Slam, starting on March 29. Next up for the Stand Up World Tour is the Sunset Beach Pro. Conditions are looking good to get back underway with the contest on Wednesday, February 12. However, as always we will make the final call in the morning at 7AM HST. Stay tuned to the event page to find out and to tune into the webcast.
The top 4 finishers today:
Nicole Pacelli (Brazil)
Candice Appleby (USA)
Sophia Tiare Bartlow (USA)
Aline Adisaka (Brazil)
View the embedded image gallery online at:
One of the biggest Atlantic swells in recent memory, a perfect reef on the outside, Belharra in the French Basque Country, a bunch of the best watermen ripping and, last but not least, a great photographer.
That’s what the following gallery is all about. Not surprisingly, one of the shots taken by Eric Bellande, capturing a memorable ride of Antoine Albeau, has been selected as a nominee for the annual Billabong XXL Big Wave awards.
OK, let these amazing pictures speak for themselves. Visit http://www.direct-image.fr/ and Eric’s FB page @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eric-Bellande-Production/238587816204273?fref=ts for more!
View the embedded image gallery online at:
Our January 2014 CD of the month is “Just Music Cafè Vol.4” an Ambient Music compilation released by the label Just Music, featuring artists of the caliber of Marconi Union, Digitonal, Jon Hopkins and Honeyroot, just to cite a few.
Interestingly, the tracks on the album were specifically composed by the artists for a worldwide online advertising campaign focused on relaxation music.
Suffice it to say, that the opening track, Weightless, composed by Marconi Union (check our review of their last effort “Different Colours”), gained worldwide recognition after being hailed as the most relaxing tune ever. Available at first as a free download, “Weightless” eventually made its way on CD with this compilation. “Weightless” is purely a wonderful, low-key electronic track but what about the others featured by the album? Well, let’s just say that other musical styles are involved: Chillout , laid-back Jazz and Electronica. Aside from “Weightless”, the other highlights of this wonderful album are the lovely “Radiant” composed by Honeyroot the darker and moody “Sense” by Digitonal and the almost triumphant Echaskech’s track “Little Rays”. Aside from the artistic value of each tracks, the most amazing thing of the album is that it seamlessly flows from one to the other, almost making it difficult to discern where one composition begins and another ends. With no filler tracks whatsoever this is a compilation enjoyable from start to finish, an ideal soundtrack for a solitary Stand Up Paddle cruising session. Highly recommended!
| 1. Weightless (Marconi Union)
| 2. Flicker (Dan Arborise)
| 3. Sense (Digitonal)
| 4. Prelude (OP)
| 5. Little Rays (Echaskech)
| 6. Beneath The Ivy (Loner)
| 7. Radiant (Honeyroot)
| 8. A Drifting Down (Jon Hopkins)
| 9. Under The Glow (Laki Mera)
|10. Seeing Stars (Leo Abrahams)|
|11. Slowtide (Viragi)|
|12. Laguna (Andrea Terrano)|
Genre: Ambient, Electronica, Jazz, Relaxation Music
Order the CD on Amazon @
Visit the Justmusic web site @
Stormy conditions have been covering the North Shore for most of the previous week. This morning saw the conditions improving as the wind began to settle down and the waves cleaned up to provide consistent 5-7 foot faces at the "Pool Bars" break at Turtle Bay Resort.
It was a fun day of competition and exhibition today as we saw the first two women's heats, competition between under-16 youth and a special exhibition from some living surfing legends. Na Kama Kai also held a youth clinic to teach the next generation the necessary skills to excel in the ocean.
- Women Complete Round 1 and Repercharge
24 women from around the world competed today in the first event of the 2014 Women's Stand Up World Tour, the Turtle Bay Women's Pro.
The women were challenged with inconsistent sets and variable conditions throughout the day which added to the challenge of this right-hand point break.
The first round had no major upsets as the top two ladies from each heat advanced to round three. All was not lost for the competitors who did not win their first heat as the repercharge round gave them a second chance to make it to the third round. At the end of the day, 18 women advanced to round three which will run later in the week as conditions allow.
- Under-16 Youth Impress In The Na Kama Kai Youth Challenge
The next generation of stand up paddlers competed in two divisions for the Na Kama Kai Youth Challenge in the same venue as the women at Turtle Bay Resort. Sacha Kuhane took the top spot in the 7-11 co-ed division. Ridge Lenny dominated the competition for the 12-16 division, impressing the crowd with some big floaters and cutbacks. He is obviously learning much from his older brother, three-time Stand Up World Champion Kai Lenny.
- Olukai Tribute to the Legends Expression Session
As part of the ongoing weekend festivities honoring some living legends, the crowd at Turtle Bay was treated to a special exhibition heat between three men who helped pioneer the modern waterman culture. Alika Willis, Titus Kinimaka, and Buzzy Kerbox competed in the water for the Olukai Tribute to the Legends. In the end Buzzy Kerbox took the title of "Legend Amongst Legends", adding a SUP medal to his long list of surfing accolades. Also part of the tribute was a team battle heat on inflatable SUPSquatch boards for a very entertaining display between the "Young Guns" and the "Old Dogs". Kai Lenny, Connor Baxter, Zane Schweitzer, Matt Schweitzer, Kody Kerbox, and Riggs Napoloean faced Archie Kalepa, Brian Keaulana, Kala Alexander, and Mel Pu'u's two daughters. The old dogs ended up winning the heat by a score of 15.34 to 10.66, proving that perhaps you can teach old dogs new tricks!
- Na Kama Kai Youth Clinic
Saturday also saw the passing of the torch to the next generation of ocean advocates with the Na Kama Kai youth clinic. Building on the Waterman League's five pillars of passion, respect, versatility, tradition, and innovation; an important component to our culture is to positively give back to the ocean sports community. Partnering with the Na Kama Kai organization, tour athletes as well as the "Living Legends" helped teach local children important fundamentals in a variety of ocean sports including SUP, canoeing, traditional board making, Hawaiian storytelling, and the aloha spirit.
For more information on the Na Kama Kai foundation please visit their website at nakamakai.org.
View the embedded image gallery online at:
The Starboard PRO SUP line consists of 7 boards targeted, as its name suggests, towards advanced paddle surfers. We’ve tested the 7’7’’X27’’X3.8’’ 92 Lt. in the Brushed Carbon construction. Is the 7’7’’ PRO "The choice for riders who don’t want barriers to performance" as claimed by the producer? Read our full review and find out.
The 7’7’’ PRO features a rounded-point nose and a rounded square tail. The maximum width of 27’’ is located at around mid-length. The bottom contours feature a continuous single concave the entire length of the board. The deck is quite flat, especially in the standing area. The scoop-rocker line is characterized by a decent tail rocker and moderate nose kick but for the rest of the length it is quite flat. The board features moderate low apex rails.
• Construction & Features
The 7’7’’ PRO is built in ultra-light Biaxial carbon technology laminated onto water resistant high density foam sandwich and a Fused Cell core. Interestingly, the angles of the carbon weave are optimized in order to provide the right flex to the board. At just 5.9 Kg with fins, the 7’7’’ PRO is incredibly light, actually the lightest SUP board that we’ve tested to date. The board is equipped with a carry handle but comes without a deck pad as it features the “Startouch Finish” on the deck surface. The traction provided by the “Startouch Finish” is sufficient but we do recommend a good Tail Pad at the very least. The 7’7’’ can be configured in either a Thruster-Fin (recommended, based on team rider performance feedback) or Quad-Fin setup. The board is bundled with a good quality Thruster set (a US Box 140 and two FCS M4.5’’).
View the embedded image gallery online at:
We have tested the 7’7’’ PRO with waves ranging from mushy waist high to solid overheads.
Stability – Lateral stability is respectively good and sufficient for light and medium weight paddle surfers. The heavyweights might struggle in choppy and windy conditions.
Row – The row effect is not an issue with the 7’7’’ but adopting the shortboard paddling technique is recommended.
Takeoff – The board provides great acceleration and speed so it catches waves pretty easily.
Nose Sinking – Not an issue.
Carving – A PRO Stand Up Paddle surfboard shouldn’t leave anything to be desired as far as the wave riding potential is concerned and, put to the test, the SB 7’7’’ PRO surpassed even our wildest expectations. This is the fastest SUP surfboard tested to date, by far! Not only the board generates plenty of speed with the lift created by its single concave bottom, but it keeps it through the turns at the same time allowing for a great degree of maneuverability and drive. In fact, the board provides aggressive turns with an outstanding vertical projection and re-direction capabilities thanks to a fast rail to rail response. As a result the 7’7’’ shines even among fat and mushy waves but let’s not forget that clean, steep waves are the ideal playground of this shape. As we said before, the board is loose but in a fair way as it allows to lay into turns without worrying about sliding out. So it is not as snappy as a shortboard Fish Quad but still quite loose allowing tight arcs with lots of control. In all, the board is fast and extremely maneuverable even though only the expert paddle surfer can fully exploit its potential.
Making it out – Relatively easy for light to medium weight SUP surfers.
Nose riding – Buy another board!
Suitability – No amateurs! This is a board for progressive new school SUP geared towards advanced stand up paddle surfers only!
Ideal Conditions – Medium to big clean and steep waves. Still performs reasonably well among fat and mushy waves i.e. beachbreaks.
Tips – Keep a forward momentum while paddling, especially in choppy and windy conditions in order to improve stability. Always adopt the hybrid paddling stance. Don’t over-steer the board as it reacts instantly to foot pressure. Overall, this board works better as a Thruster.
View the embedded image gallery online at:
• Conclusions & Verdict
A stock SUP surfboard labeled as PRO might sound just as a marketing stunt but it’s not the case of the Starboard 7’7’’ and – we presume – its siblings of the Starnboard SUP PRO Line. In fact, after testing it extensively in a wide array of conditions we can confirm the producer’s claim. The board is extremely fast and responsive to foot pressure allowing razor sharp cutbacks and backsides even in the deepest sections giving a great degree of control. However, there is a price to pay in terms of lateral stability, most noticeably in choppy and windy condition but we would say that this shape successfully trades performance against stability. In all, the Starboard PRO 7’7’’ combines state of the art technology with an extremely functional shape aimed at providing the best performance on the water. As such it comes highly recommended to light and medium weight expert SUP surfers.
The Starboard PRO 7’7’’ Brushed Carbon is now our reference board in its class but, again, it must be pointed out that this shape commands skill and experience to be properly ridden. So, in the end, the only question you have to ask yourself is: do you really want that? If you are not skilled enough for this board you are going to spend in the water most of your sessions! Go wider and bigger in terms of volume then.
State of the art construction and top notch performance - Incredibly light - Good stock fins.
Intrinsically unstable in choppy and windy conditions - Startouch deck finish not functional.